Started in the 70’s by Dr. Richard Bandler and then co-developed with Dr. John Grinder, NLP has become a body of knowledge with many different branches, some surprisingly different from one another. I am familiar with two approaches, one being Dr, Bandler`s and the other Robert Dilts’. My favorite NLP maxim is “all the resources are in the system.”
The most important gifts of NLP are:
- It teaches you how your mind works and how to make it work for you
- It is extremely versatile and can be used for everything from addiction to anxiety, depression to trauma relief, as well as accelerated learning, conflict resolution, phobias etc.
- It is not dependant on content so you don’t spend alot of time rehashing the past and reliving your suffering. I can tell you from my experience on both sides of the cliend/therapist line, this is a true blessing.
- The processes are quite elegant and swift compared with other forms of conventional therapy.
NLP practitioners have observed and documented how we process information, how we map reality internally and how we can change our maps in ways that can offer surprising and swift results.
Perceptual Mobility (PM)
PM can be defined by an equation:
PM = more information = more options = more opportunity = you thrive
Gregory Bateson, a scholar’s scholar, remarked that all things being equal, the organism with the most options thrives. Bateson noted that there are three main ways in which we perceive reality:
- Me, my interests.
- The other’s experience, perceived as if we are the other.
- The neutral observer, no vested interest, no emotional baggage.
The top performers in our society are adept at all three positions — that’s one of the reasons they are the top performers.
Coaching in PM allows you to resolve conflicts more easily, communicate more effectively, and gives you the ability to process more information with less effort and greater speed. There is no part of your life where Perceptual Mobility is not a factor and every part of your life benefits from increased skill using this valuable tool.
Percussion Suggestion Technology (PSTEC)
PSTEC is cutting edge, just out-of-the-box technology, the brain child of hypnotherapist Tim Phizakerley. Tim is a truly kind hearted man who cares about relieving the suffering of others in the fastest and easiest way possible. I have spoken to him personally and we keep in touch by email. We are involved in a project called the PSTEC Haitian Trauma Relief Initiative for which he is prepared to volunteer his time and make his product available for free.
Phobias, anxieties, depression, addictions, installations of positive programs to enhance optimal performance – this modality covers what many of the others do but faster, more easily and even more discreetly.
Here are some points that make this good samaritan’s creation a brilliant modality:
- It is, bar none, the most discreet modality I have used; I don’t even have to know what your problem is, as long as you do it works like a charm. So no worries about disclosure or reliving painful memories because you won’t! It is also perfect for the client who dreads therapists and therapy but whose back is to the wall and really needs some help.
- It is literally plug and play. Very little coaching required, easy to use, free tracks are available so you can be autonomous. One session will give you an idea of how to use them and then it’s up to you. If you get stuck, you just book an appointment with me and I will coach you over the hump and there you are, off to the races again. If you choose, you can do a lot of the work yourself and come to me for tune ups from time to time and from issue to issue.
For those of you who are interested in knowing a bit about how PSTEC works, here is an explanation. For those of you who are simply curious about the modalities in general, simply scroll down to the next modality.
PSTEC: How it works
As you listen to the ‘click’ track, you tap with either or both hands, and Tim uses hypnotic suggestion designed to help you disconnect from whatever is troubling you. His work combines and leverages three proven strategies for an amazing triple play.
- Pattern interruption. One of the discoveries of NLP, it was observed that our depression, anxiety, phobias, etc. were learned behaviours that had become patterns. If the pattern was interrupted effectively, the neuronal connection that created the ‘instant’ repetition of the behaviour was broken and new behaviours could be established.
- Right/Left Brain Activation. As you listen to the tracks and you tap with either or both hands at different times, this has a reset effect on your brain, like rebooting a computer.
- Hypnotic suggestion. Tim uses hypnotic suggestion to amplify the effects of the pattern interruption and the right/left brain activation.
I have used PSTEC for myself and my clients and the effect is amazing. While working with a Haitian refuge in one play totalling 14 minutes, we released her from traumatic memories of her recent visit to Haiti after the earthquake. We then continued to work on other problems related to her refugee status. I was interviewed by Jeff Harding, noted EFT master, about this experience and you can hear the interview on the Testimonials & Interviews page.
PSTEC Weight Loss Power Upgrade Audio Package – v2 **This is a download in MP3 and PDF formats*
Success with PSTEC and PSTEC Positive on CD – ***2 CD Special***
Success with PSTEC and PSTEC Positive on CD
PSTEC Basic Plus on CD – ***2 CD Special***
PSTEC Basic Plus on CD
PSTEC Cascade Release Audio Package – Suitable Only for Therapists
PSTEC Accelerator Audio Package
PSTEC Stop Smoking for Therapists Audio Package
PSTEC Advanced Audio Package – For Therapists Only
PSTEC Level 1 Audio Package
PSTEC Stop Smoking – Self Help – Audio Package
Enhanced Effectiveness Click Tracks
PSTEC Positive Audio Package
Cancer: FREE – PSTEC Special Audio Package *** A FREE GIFT FOR YOU ***
Free Basic PSTEC Audio Package – NO CHARGE ITEM
PSTEC Therapy Course audio **This is a download in MP3 format**
PSTEC Success Empowered Hypnotic Audio Package **This is a download in MP3 format**
PSTEC for Blushing Audio **This is a download in MP3 format**
Bypassing Client Resistance **This is a download in MP3 format**
PSTEC for PTSD **This is a download in MP3 format**
PSTEC for Physical Issues **This is a download in MP3 format**
The PSTEC Brain Swap **This is a download in MP3 format**
Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
Inspired by the work of Dr. Roger Callahan of the U.K., Gary Craig, an engineer, created a much simplified form of what is now known as meridian therapy or tapping therapy which is a cornerstone modality in the new field of energy psychology. In a nutshell, it is a form of emotional acupressure that works by tapping on meridian points while repeating an intention statement, either aloud or silently. It can be used on all of the problems already stated and, in fact, Gary’s motto was “Try it on everything, from physical pain, to emotional trauma’s, from arthritis to multiple sclerosis.” It can, with repetitive use, help boost the immune system and work in surprising ways, by clearing out emotional blockages that interfere with healing.
Advantages: easy to use; can be used at anytime, anywhere; no material technology is required – if you have a hand, you can tap. Although it is easy to learn, it does require some skill and, for greatest effect, precise targeting of the issue. It, too, can be used discreetly.
Tapas Acupressure Technique (TAT)
Discovered and developed by acupuncturist Tapas Fleming, TAT is a pose that you hold while thinking about your issue and working through a nine step protocol which addresses the issue from several vantage points. Like EFT, it works with the meridian system and is a part of the growing field of energy psychology. It has an advantage over EFT in that it does not require such precise targeting. It can be used on all illnesses, emotional and organic. Tapas herself contracted breast cancer and used her technique to supplement the allopathic treatments she was receiving; her oncologist was astonished at how well she had entered into remission. In fact, Tapas has become remarkable from both professional and statistical points of view.
Cardiac Coherence is brilliant, easy and effective. It is a breathing technique that releases the hormones that counteract stress hormones and it could be described as breathing prozac. Done for 3 to 5 minutes every 3 to 4 hours assures that a constant stream of anti-stress hormones are in your bloodstream. In 3 weeks, you feel the effects. Over time, if relieves chronic stress, helps with weight loss (much of weight gain is a product of the effect of stress hormones telling the body to keep the fat for emergency reasons), it increases your brain power, you react better to stress, and the list goes on.
The Dream Catcher (guided meditation)
This process is based on the bio-energetic signature technique as taught by Alexandre Nadeau in Montreal, who learned it from an American teacher. My version is more fleshed out and I have adapted it to a variety of uses.
Essentially, if you are not sure about a decision, this process will help you make that decision based on what is energetically right for you.
It is perceived as a movement of energy that increases when you state a truth and decreases when you say an untrue statement. I use this to help clients get clear on what they really want and not what they think they should want or when a client has a lot of issues to deal with and isn’t sure of his or her priorities.
I also use it to help clients access a deep and even mystical sense of their own being’s consciousness, as well as connecting that sense of being to the rest of the world, creating a sense of deep and profound peace.
It can also be used to connect to others in a more specific way, and to seek answers from the unconscious or mine deep resources which can be leveraged for profound change in one’s daily life.